Start a new topic

Solidworks DWG to GDS-II

We have one drawing done in Solidworks. Then the drawing is saved as DXF and DWG format. I now want to convert the files to GDS-II. When I start the conversion, the ACE V7 program dies in the middle of the conversion. 

I also tried with ACE V8. I see the same issue as V7 for DXF to GDS-II conversion.

Conversion from DWG to GDS-II in ACE V8 gives the message that "unable to import DWG"

1 Comment

The first suggestion would be to export a DXF instead of DWG (it's one less internal conversion process), and Solidworks will give you the option to output either DXF or DWG.

Here are several support links regarding converting DXF files from SolidWorks,

Thanks for sending the sample DXF file, as it better helps me understand the problem.
This DXF is constructed for documentation purposes (i.e blueprint) with coordinates and dimensions; rather than for converting to GDS-II or any other format.

My first suggestion is in Solidworks there should be "dxf export options" to only export the model only and not all the other stuff like (dimensions, title blocks, etc).  Once you have a DXF with just the model the conversion in ACE should go fairly well.  Make sure to check the DXF Import Layer options "Fill", "Join", and "DeEmbed" (similar to the support links I provided previously).  Feel free to send me the new DXF and I'll be happy to create the movie tutorial and send you the resulting GDS-II. 

Note: Using any CAD tool, I could manually delete all dimensions and title blocks, etc -- however it can be time consuming, error prone, and it's usually better to convert a clean DXF (if possible).

Did you know ACE can import STL files directly (same with STEP)?  The model looks somewhat easy, so I would suggest export a STL or STEP directly from Solidworks and convert that to GDS-II -- you can send me any sample STEP or STL, and I'll be happy to create a tutorial movie.

Best regards,

Simon

Login or Signup to post a comment